Taking the ACCUPLACER ESL
Levels of English Proficiency (LOEP)
About the ACCUPLACER ESL
If your native language is not English and you are seeking an associate degree or career certificate, you could be required to take the ACCUPLACER ESL. The ACCUPLACER ESL is designed to assess your English skills to determine if our English for Academic Purposes (EAP) program is the best place to start!
Also, check to see if you are exempt from the ACCUPLACER ESL.
The ACCUPLACER ESL is comprised of 4 parts: Typing an Essay, Sentence Meaning, Reading and Language Usage.
All parts are given on a computer.
Part 1: WritePlacer (Typing an Essay for 80 minutes) (300-600 words)
This will be the only section of the ACCUPLACER LOEP that has a time limit. You will have up to 80 minutes to prepare and type an essay with 300-600 words.
Part 2: Sentence Meaning (20 questions-multiple choice)
Verbs, nouns, basic phrases
Part 3: Reading (20 questions-multiple choice)
Questions on reading material
Part 4: Language Use (20 questions-multiple choice)
Sentence structure, subject-verb agreement
Technical difficulties inherent with the internet, software or transmission may occur during your testing experience and are unpredictable. If unexpected technical difficulties occur, a proctor will make every attempt to promptly resume your assessment. Extended delays in testing may require rescheduling.
Appointments are required for all on-campus testing.
Make an appointment by clicking on your desired campus below:
- Downtown Campus
- East Campus
- Lake Nona Campus
- Osceola Campus
- Poinciana Campus
- West Campus
- Winter Park Campus
NOTE: Assessment staff may contact you regarding your appointment via phone and/or email provided on your registration.
Preparing for on-campus testing:
- Review the ACCUPLACER ESL Review Material
- Bring your ID on test day- acceptable forms of ID include:
- A current driver’s license
- A current Valencia College student ID
- A current state or federal ID card (such as a Green Card)
- A current passport
- Personal items will not be permitted in the Testing Center. NO large bags or purses allowed
- Arrive on time to your appointment or you might need to be re-scheduled
- Testing candidates are the only persons allowed in the Testing Center. Relatives/friends must wait outside of the Testing Center. Children are not to be left unattended in the Testing Center lobby or anywhere outside during the duration of testing.
You can take the ACCUPLACER ESL virtually by registering through RegisterBlast. This process may take up to two business days before you can launch your virtual ACCUPLACER ESL test session. Your virtual test session will be proctored by Proctortrack.
*Virtual Testing Disclaimer*
- Virtual testing may not be the fastest option to get your scores in your Atlas account for course registration. You may see your scores after testing, however, your recorded session must be validated prior to scores being entered into your account.
- There is a processing period before and after your virtual testing session.
- Success in virtual testing will depend on your comfort with troubleshooting technology on your own and your network reliability.
- Live tech support is limited for virtual testing.
We encourage you to test on campus if you want immediate support and score processing into your Atlas account.
Requirements to take this assessment virtually:
- A government-issued or school-issued photo ID on test day
- Stable internet connection for duration of test session
- A computer with audio capabilities
- A detachable webcam laptop with build in camera that can show the whole room and desk space
Register for a Virtual ACCUPLACER ESL (LOEP) Test Session
To start the virtual ACCUPLACER ESL (LOEP) process, first click this ACCUPLACER ESL registration link, then follow the instructions below:
1. Select Virtual testing
2. Select ACCUPLACER ESL (LOEP)
3. Select First time Taking ACCUPLACER ESL (LOEP) or Retaking ACCUPLACER ESL (LOEP) ($10.00)
4. Enter personal information, email, agree to the terms, enter your VID and staff name. Please enter an email that you check regularly and be sure to check your spam/junk folder in case our communication finds its way there.
5. Click “Add to cart” in green
6. Click “ready to checkout” in green
7. Enter payment information if you are retaking the ACCUPLACER ESL (LOEP)
8. Within 2 business days, you will receive a follow-up email at the address provided on your registration with a voucher code and necessary steps needed to complete your test virtually. **PLEASE check your junk/spam folder for any emails from RegisterBlast or Proctortrack.*Prepare with the ACCUPLACER ESL Review Material and see the ACCUPLACER ESL testing rules prior to test day.
Practice Test Information
Are there any exemptions from the ACCUPLACER?
You may be exempt from the ACCUPLACER if you:
- Provide official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or IELTS scores less than two years old that place you in course work at Valencia (See Placement charts).
- Provide official transcripts of college-level coursework in Freshman English Composition with a "C" or better.
- Provide official transcripts indicating you have earned an Associate or Bachelor's degree for which English was the language of instruction.
Retaking the ACCUPLACER
If you would like to retake ACCUPLACER to possibly increase your score:
- You may take the ACCUPLACER ESL two times in one year with a 1-day wait period between tests. Number of attempts is calculated from the anniversary of your first attempt.
- You must pay a $10 retake fee before retesting
- All application fees must be paid prior to retesting
- Retakes are not allowed once you begin English for Academic Purpose (EAP) course work
If you are an International student, your scores must place you at EAP Level 4 in order to attend Valencia.
ACCUPLACER ESL Placement Chart
(Other ESL Placement Charts Found Here
|ACCUPLACER ESL AVERAGE SCORE||LEVEL PLACEMENT||ELIGIBLE COURSES|
|65 or less||Level 0||Admission delayed; referral to Adult Education ESOL|
|76-85||Level 3||EAP 0381C|
|86-95||Level 4||EAP0400C, EAP0420C, EAP0440C, EAP0460C|
|96-105||Level 5||EAP1500C and EAP1520C and EAP1540C and EAP1560C or EAP1585C and EAP1586C|
|106-115||Level 6||EAP1620C, EAP1640C|
|116 or more||Level 7||(Use PERT scores for placement)|
Immigrants, refugees and U.S. citizens scoring 65 or less will have their Admission delayed.
Non-Immigrants (International students) scoring 0-85 (levels 0, 2, 3) will not be eligible for Admission.