Taking the ACCUPLACER ESL
Levels of English Proficiency (LOEP)
ACCUPLACER ESL (LOEP)
Technical difficulties inherent with the internet, software or transmission may occur during your testing experience and are unpredictable. If unexpected technical difficulties occur, a proctor will make every attempt to promptly resume your assessment. Extended delays in testing may require rescheduling.
About the ACCUPLACER ESL
If your native language is not English and you are seeking an associate degree or career certificate, you will be required to take the ACCUPLACER ESL.
- The ACCUPLACER ESL is designed to assess your English skills if you have learned English as an additional language to your native language.
- Tests are administered virtually through Zoom.
- No Charge 1st attempt, $10 Retake fee.
ACCUPLACER ESL Test Breakdown
The ACCUPLACER ESL is comprised of 4 parts: Typing an Essay, Sentence Meaning, Reading and Language Usage.
All parts are given on a computer.
1 Part 1: WritePlacer (Typing an Essay for 80 minutes) (300-600 words)
This will be the only section of the ACCUPLACER LOEP that has a time limit. You will have up to 80 minutes to prepare and type an essay with 300-600 words.
Verbs, nouns, basic phrases
3 Part 3: Reading (20 questions-multiple choice)
Questions on reading material
4 Part 4: Language Use (20 questions-multiple choice)
Sentence structure, subject-verb agreement
Practice Test Information
Are there any exemptions from the ACCUPLACER?
You may be exempt from the ACCUPLACER if you:
- Provide official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or IELTS scores less than two years old that place you in course work at Valencia (See Placement charts).
- Provide official transcripts of college-level coursework in Freshman English Composition with a "C" or better.
- Provide official transcripts indicating you have earned an Associate or Bachelor's degree for which English was the language of instruction.
Retaking the ACCUPLACER
If you would like to retake ACCUPLACER to possibly increase your score:
- You may take the ACCUPLACER ESL two times in one year with a 1-day wait period between tests. Number of attempts is calculated from the anniversary of your first attempt.
- You must pay a $10 retake fee before retesting
- All application fees must be paid prior to retesting
- Retakes are not allowed once you begin English for Academic Purpose (EAP) course work
Below is a step by step guide on what to select after clicking the link above:
1. Select Virtual testing
2. Select ACCUPLACER ESL (LOEP)
3. Select First time Taking ACCUPLACER ESL (LOEP) or Retaking ACCUPLACER ESL (LOEP) ($10.00)
4. Select date and time
5. Enter personal information, email, agree to the terms, enter your VID and staff name. Please enter an email that you check regularly and be sure to check your spam/junk folder in case our communication finds its way there.
6. For staff name you can enter any of them
7. Click “Add to cart” in green
8. Click “ready to checkout” in green
9. Enter payment information if you are retaking the ACCUPLACER ESL (LOEP)
If you are an International student, your scores must place you at EAP Level 4 in order to attend Valencia.
ACCUPLACER ESL Placement Chart
(Other ESL Placement Charts Found Here
|ACCUPLACER ESL AVERAGE SCORE||LEVEL PLACEMENT||ELIGIBLE COURSES|
|65 or less||Level 0||Admission delayed; referral to Adult Education ESOL|
|76-85||Level 3||EAP 0381C|
|86-95||Level 4||EAP0400C, EAP0420C, EAP0440C, EAP0460C|
|96-105||Level 5||EAP1500C and EAP1520C and EAP1540C and EAP1560C or EAP1585C and EAP1586C|
|106-115||Level 6||EAP1620C, EAP1640C|
|116 or more||Level 7||(Use PERT scores for placement)|
Immigrants, refugees and U.S. citizens scoring 65 or less will have their Admission delayed.
Non-Immigrants (International students) scoring 0-85 (levels 0, 2, 3) will not be eligible for Admission.