Florida Civic Literacy Exam (FCLE)
About the FCLE
The FCLE assesses students' civic literacy competency.
You are required to demonstrate competency through successful completion of a civic literacy course AND by achieving a passing composite score of 48 on the Florida Civic Literacy Examination (FCLE) if you are in one of the following categories:
- associate in arts or baccalaureate degree students entering a Florida College System (FCS) or State University System (SUS) institution in the 2021-2022 academic school year and thereafter
- associate in science degree students entering a Florida College System (FCS) in the 2022-2023 academic school year and thereafter
Click here to find instructions that will help you determine if you need to take the Florida Civic Literacy Exam.
For graduation requirements and other assessments you can complete to satisfy the FCLE requirement visit the Graduation Requirements webpage.
FCLE Quick Facts
- We are currently prioritizing students who are upcoming graduates and those with 45+ credit hours that have taken and successfully completed (with D or higher) POS 2041 or AMH2020.
- The FCLE is untimed and takes approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes to complete.
- The test includes four sections with a total of 80 multiple-choice questions (competencies are in the next section).
- The passing score is 48 out of 80 (60%)
Upon completing the FCLE, you will see on your screen if you have achieved a passing score: "Yes" indicating a score of 60% or higher or "No" indicating a score below 60%. Your numeric score will not be immediately available. This score will be available via your Atlas account after 2 business days.
The four domains and their competency areas include:
American Democracy (20 questions)
Understanding of the basic principles and practices of American democracy and how they are applied in our republican form of government.
United States Constitution (20 questions)
An understanding of the United States Constitution and its application.
Founding Documents (20 questions)
Knowledge of the founding documents and how they have shaped the nature and functions of our institutions of self-government.
Landmark Impact on Law and Society (20 questions)
An understanding of landmark Supreme Court cases, landmark legislation and landmark executive actions and their impact on law and society.
Prior to taking the FCLE, it is recommended to take a practice test to familiarize yourself with the testing platform. Please use the instructions below to help navigate a practice test session.
- Navigate to the FCLE Testing Website
- Select "Practice Tests" under the "Prepare Your Student" section.
- Click the green "Sign in" Button
- Select "30" in the drop down menu for "Student Grade Level."
- Under the "End of Course" section in green, select the "Start Civics EOC Practice Test."
- Choose your settings and click the green "Select" button.
- Click the green "Begin Test Now" button.
- You will now be placed in to a practice test session.
- Get familiarized with the testing platform clicking all the settings available.
Preparing for on-campus testing
- Bring your ID on test day- We are unable to accept Florida Smart ID at this time. Acceptable forms of ID include:
- A current driver’s license
- A current Valencia College student ID
- A current state or federal ID card (such as a Green Card)
- A current passport
- Personal items will not be permitted in the Testing Center. NO large bags or purses allowed
- Arrive on time to your appointment or you might need to be re-scheduled
- Testing candidates are the only persons allowed in the Testing Center. Relatives/friends must wait outside of the Testing Center. Children are not to be left unattended in the Testing Center lobby or anywhere outside during the duration of testing.
FCLE On-Campus Testing
Appointments are required for testing.
We are currently prioritizing students who are upcoming graduates and those with 45+ credit hours that have taken and successfully completed (with D or higher) POS 2041 or AMH2020.
Make an appointment by clicking on your desired campus below:
**Be sure to review prior to testing!
Please review the following link for instructions on how to access your FCLE scores after testing has been completed. Please note that it may take up to 2 business day for scores to be visible in your account.