Taking the PERT Exam
Fill out our Virtual PERT Assessment Test Request Form to initiate the process.
- Dual Enrollment Students- You should have received PERT instructions sent to the email used in your Dual Enrollment Application. Please be sure to check your junk folder.
You MUST have received an email from Assessment with specific codes prior to moving forward with the PERT Virtual Testing information below.
Please check your Atlas inbox for an email titled
"YOUR PERT HONORLOCK ASSESSMENT"
- PERT Quick Testing Facts
- PERT Review Material
- PERT Retest at Valencia College
About the PERT
When you first come to Valencia College, you may be required to take Florida's Postsecondary Education Readiness Test (PERT). There’s no failing the exam, however it will impact the courses you'll take at Valencia College, so it's important that you study for the test.
The PERT is an entry-level placement test required of all degree seeking students in the Florida College System (FCS) according to Florida Statutes, Section 1008.30, Rule 6A-10.0315. This test will determine your initial placement in English, reading and mathematics courses. Exemptions can be found here.
PERT Quick Testing Facts
You cannot fail the test. The results of the exam will determine which courses you can take at Valencia College.
- Three sections: Mathematics, Reading and Writing
- 30 questions per section
- Not timed
- Must be completed in the same day. Allow yourself at least 2.5 to 3 hours for all three sections of the PERT.
- Personal calculators are not permitted, however there will be a computer calculator available on certain math questions of the test.
- If you are required to take all three sections of the PERT, you must take the Reading and Writing portion prior to the Math section. Exceptions will be made on a case-by-case basis.
Number of PERT attempts accepted at Valencia:
- A student is allowed 3 PERT attempts at Valencia in a two-year period with a one-day wait period between attempts.
- Valencia will only accept valid PERT/CPT scores from previously enrolled institutions if they are within 2 years of the date taken. Click HERE to learn more about submitting scores from a previously enrolled institution.
The results of the exam will determine which courses you can take at Valencia College. There’s no failing the exam, however it will impact the courses you'll take at Valencia College, so it's important that you study for the test.
*NOTE: Score is not calculated on Sample Tests.
OPTIONAL: ONLINE TUTORING SESSION
Step 1: Review the PERT materials (links above) before meeting with a tutor. You must come with specific questions or identified areas where assistance is needed.
Step 2: Click here to access live, online tutors for PERT review.
Must pay application fees:
Valencia Student- No Charge 1st time, $10 Retake fee per section
PERT Retest at Valencia College
- You are only allowed 3 PERT attempts at Valencia (per section)
- There is a 1 day wait period between tests
- PERT retake fee ($10 per subject retake)
- Please review the links in the PERT Review Material section above.
Assessment Support Hours