Taking the PERT Exam
In order to take the PERT at Valencia you must:
- Valencia Student- have an active application on file - the Admissions application must be completed at least 5 business days prior to testing.
- Future Dual Enrollment Student- do not have to pay the application fee. Please see the Dual Enrollment page for more information.
- Non-Valencia Student- fill out Option 2 on the Additional Testing Options page.
All students who test at Valencia MUST:
- Provide a valid and original government-issued photo ID, such as a Driver's License, Passport, or Green Card.
Please note: Children are not allowed in the testing room. Proper supervision of small children should be arranged off site prior to testing.
All assessment centers are closed on college-wide holidays.
Assessment offices close at 5pm Dec 17-20
Winter Park closed 8am-12pm on January 4
Mon-Thurs: 8 AM - *5 PM
Friday: 9 AM - 4 PM
*PERT takes 2.5 - 3 hours. Testing must be completed in the same day, unless a seven-day extension is needed.
Retake Wait Period
Must pay application fees:
Valencia Student- No Charge 1st time, $10 Retake fee per section
Non-Valencia Student- **Not applicable for Dual Enrollment Students.
*May 2- Due to Business Office closure, East, West and Osceola will not test Non-Valencia students. You may schedule at LNC and WP for May 2 testing.
No Time Limit
* If you are taking the FULL reading, writing and math PERT, you must come by 2pm to allow enough time to complete your assessment before closing time.
*PERT takes 2.5 - 3 hours. Testing must be completed in the same day, unless a seven-day extension is needed. Please allow yourself at least 2 1/2 to 3 hours for all 3 sections of the PERT.
About the PERT
When you first come to Valencia College, you may be required to take Florida's Postsecondary Education Readiness Test (PERT).
The PERT is an entry-level placement test required of all degree seeking students in the Florida College System (FCS) according to Florida Statutes, Section 1008.30, Rule 6A-10.0315. This test will determine your initial placement in English, reading and mathematics courses.
You could be exempt from this placement test if you meet any of the following:
- Started the 9th grade in 2003 or after and graduated from a Florida High School with a standard diploma
- Are an active duty member of any branch of the United States Armed Services
- Provide official ACT, CPT, and/or SAT scores less than two years old that place you in college-level course work at Valencia (See placement chart)
- Provide official transcripts of college-level coursework in English or mathematics with a "C" or better from a regionally accredited institution.
PERT Quick Testing Facts:
- The test consists of three subtests: Mathematics, Reading and Writing.
- Each subsection of the PERT consists of 30 questions
- The PERT is not timed, so you will be able to work through the test at your own pace. (We recommend you set aside between two and a half to three hours to take the test, but you may take as long as you need)
- Calculators are not permitted in the lab, however there will be a computer calculator available on certain math questions of the test.
- You cannot fail the test. The test is designed to determine the best placement for you based on your
Review sample PERT questions. NOTE: Score is not calculated.
Number of PERT attempts accepted at Valencia:
- A student is allowed 3 PERT attempts at Valencia in a two-year period with a one-day wait period between attempts. Test scores on record may be used for placement into courses in math, reading, writing, and/or composition if test dates are less than two-years old at the time of term registration.
- Valencia will only accept valid PERT/CPT scores from previously enrolled institutions. Request a sealed copy of scores from the outside institution and submit scores to Assessment staff or contact us and request scores to be retrieved from the PERT repository (include Full Name, VID#, Date of Birth and where you took the PERT). Please Note: PERT scores are not available in the PERT Repository immediately after testing day.
You must wait at least 24 hours between any PERT attempts. Remediation is required prior to your second retest at Valencia.
PERT Retest at Valencia College
All PERT retakes require a:
- 1 day (24 hour) wait period between tests
- PERT Retake Review Session per subtest
- PERT retake fee ($10 per subject retake)
1. Obtain your PERT scores and confirm retake eligibility with your Assessment Center
2. Receive PERT Retake Certificate from your Assessment Center
3. Review the following link to see times, locations and process of a PERT Review Session: http://valenciacollege.edu/students/assessments/pert.php
4. Attend the PERT Retake Review Session(s) and get your certificate(s) signed
5. Pay at your business office: http://valenciacollege.edu/students/business-office/payments.php
6. Return to the Assessment Center with your certificate(s) and payment receipt to retake the PERT
*You may be asked to purchase a booklet from Valencia bookstore or download and print the following booklet to review:
- READING REVIEW GUIDE (PERT Reading)
- WRITING/SENTENCE SKILLS REVIEW GUIDE (PERT Writing)
- MATH REVIEW GUIDE (PERT Math)
- COLLEGE LEVEL MATH REVIEW (CPT-I)
Bookstore Prices: Reading $1.56, Writing $2.05, Math $4.00