Taking the PERT Exam
Please search your ATLAS email for an email titled "YOUR PERT HONORLOCK ASSESSMENT" for steps on how to take the PERT virtually.
About the PERT
When you first come to Valencia College, you may be required to take Florida's Postsecondary Education Readiness Test (PERT). You cannot fail the test. The test is designed to determine the best placement for you based on your academic preparation.
The PERT is an entry-level placement test required of all degree seeking students in the Florida College System (FCS) according to Florida Statutes, Section 1008.30, Rule 6A-10.0315. This test will determine your initial placement in English, reading and mathematics courses.
You could be exempt from this placement test if you meet any of the following:
- Started the 9th grade in 2003 or after and graduated from a Florida Public High School with a standard diploma
- Are an active duty member of any branch of the United States Armed Services
- Provide official ACT, CPT, and/or SAT scores less than two years old that place you in college-level course work at Valencia (See placement chart)
- Provide official transcripts of college-level coursework in English or mathematics with a "C" or better from a regionally accredited institution.
PERT Quick Testing Facts
You cannot fail the test. The test is designed to determine the best placement for you based on your academic preparation.
- The test consists of three subtests: Mathematics, Reading and Writing.
- Each subsection of the PERT consists of 30 questions
- If you are required to take all three sections of the PERT, you must take the Reading and Writing portion prior to the Math section. Exceptions will be made on a case-by-case basis.
- The PERT is not timed, so you will be able to work through the test at your own pace.
- Testing must be completed in the same day, unless a seven day extension is needed. Please allow yourself at least 2.5 to 3 hours for all three sections of the PERT.
- Calculators are not permitted, however there will be a computer calculator available on certain math questions of the test.
Number of PERT attempts accepted at Valencia:
- A student is allowed 3 PERT attempts at Valencia in a two-year period with a one-day wait period between attempts. Test scores on record may be used for placement into courses in math, reading, writing, and/or composition if test dates are less than two-years old at the time of term registration.
- Valencia will only accept valid PERT/CPT scores from previously enrolled institutions. Request a sealed copy of scores from the outside institution and submit scores to Assessment staff or fill out this PERT Retrieval Form to request scores to be retrieved from the PERT repository (include Full Name, VID#, and where you took the PERT). Please Note: PERT scores are not available in the PERT Repository immediately after testing.
The results of the exam will determine which courses you can take at Valencia College. There’s no failing the exam, however it will impact the courses you'll take at Valencia College, so it's important that you study for the test.
*NOTE: Score is not calculated on Sample Tests.
Click here to access our live, online tutors for PERT review. Please review the PERT review guide (also found within this link or on this current webpage) before attending a tutoring session to help the tutor better understand what you need assistance with.
Must pay application fees:
Valencia Student- No Charge 1st time, $10 Retake fee per section
PERT Retest at Valencia College
All PERT retakes require a:
- 3 day wait period between tests
- PERT retake fee ($10 per subject retake)
- Please review the links in the PERT Review Material section above.