Taking the PERT Exam
In order to take the PERT at Valencia you must:
- Valencia Student- have an active application on file - the Admissions application must be completed at least 5 business days prior to testing.
- Future Dual Enrollment Student- do not have to pay the application fee. Please see the Dual Enrollment page for more information.
- Non-Valencia Student- fill out Option 2 on the Additional Testing Options page.
All students who test at Valencia MUST:
- Provide a valid and original government-issued photo ID, such as a Driver's License, Passport, or Green Card.
Taking the PERT at a different institution: Valencia will only accept valid PERT scores from previously enrolled institutions. However, if Valencia is not close to your residency and you would like to take the PERT at a different institution closer to you, you are required to get approval from the Assessment Department by going through our Remote Testing process prior to testing at another institution.
Please note: Children are not allowed in the testing room. Proper supervision of small children should be arranged off site prior to testing.
All assessment centers are closed on college-wide holidays.
Closed on Monday, November 11, 2019
Mon-Thurs: 8 AM - 5 PM
Friday: 9 AM - 4 PM
PERT takes 2.5 - 3 hours. Testing must be completed in the same day, unless a seven-day extension is needed.
Retake Wait Period
Must pay application fees:
Valencia Student- No Charge 1st time, $10 Retake fee per section
Non-Valencia Student- **Not applicable for Dual Enrollment Students.
No Time Limit
* If you are taking the FULL reading, writing and math PERT, it is strongly recommended
that you come by 2pm to allow enough time to complete your assessment before closing time.
*PERT takes 2.5 - 3 hours. Testing must be completed in the same day, unless a seven-day extension is needed. Please allow yourself at least 2 1/2 to 3 hours for all 3 sections of the PERT.
About the PERT
When you first come to Valencia College, you may be required to take Florida's Postsecondary Education Readiness Test (PERT). You cannot fail the test. The test is designed to determine the best placement for you based on your academic preparation.
The PERT is an entry-level placement test required of all degree seeking students in the Florida College System (FCS) according to Florida Statutes, Section 1008.30, Rule 6A-10.0315. This test will determine your initial placement in English, reading and mathematics courses.
You could be exempt from this placement test if you meet any of the following:
- Started the 9th grade in 2003 or after and graduated from a Florida High School with a standard diploma
- Are an active duty member of any branch of the United States Armed Services
- Provide official ACT, CPT, and/or SAT scores less than two years old that place you in college-level course work at Valencia (See placement chart)
- Provide official transcripts of college-level coursework in English or mathematics with a "C" or better from a regionally accredited institution.
PERT Quick Testing Facts:
You cannot fail the test. The test is designed to determine the best placement for you based on your academic preparation.
Review sample PERT questions. NOTE: Score is not calculated on Sample tests.
*Additional reading, writing and math refresher booklets are at the bottom of this page.
- The test consists of three subtests: Mathematics, Reading and Writing.
- Each subsection of the PERT consists of 30 questions
- If you are required to take all three sections of the PERT, you must take the Reading and Writing portion prior to the Math section. Exceptions will be made on a case-by-case basis.
- The PERT is not timed, so you will be able to work through the test at your own pace. (We recommend you set aside between two and a half to three hours to take the test, but you may take as long as you need)
- Calculators are not permitted in the lab, however there will be a computer calculator available on certain math questions of the test.
Number of PERT attempts accepted at Valencia:
- A student is allowed 3 PERT attempts at Valencia in a two-year period with a one-day wait period between attempts. Test scores on record may be used for placement into courses in math, reading, writing, and/or composition if test dates are less than two-years old at the time of term registration.
- Valencia will only accept valid PERT/CPT scores from previously enrolled institutions. Request a sealed copy of scores from the outside institution and submit scores to Assessment staff or contact us and request scores to be retrieved from the PERT repository (include Full Name, VID#, Date of Birth and where you took the PERT). Please Note: PERT scores are not available in the PERT Repository immediately after testing day.
You must wait at least 24 hours between any PERT attempts. Remediation is required prior to your second retest at Valencia.
PERT Retest at Valencia College
**Downtown Campus retake process is different than all other Valencia Campuses. Please call 407-235-3825 for more information on retakes at the Downtown Campus.
All PERT retakes require a:
- 1 day (24 hour) wait period between tests
- PERT Retake Review Session per subtest
- PERT retake fee ($10 per subject retake)
- Obtain your PERT scores and confirm retake eligibility with your Assessment Center
- Receive PERT Retake Certificate from your Assessment Center
- Attend the PERT Retake Review Session(s) and get your certificate(s) signed.
- Pay at any Valencia College Business Office - Review Payment Options
- Return to the Assessment Center with your certificate(s) and payment receipt to retake the PERT
*You may be asked to purchase a booklet from Valencia bookstore or download and print the following booklet to review:
- READING REVIEW GUIDE (PERT Reading)
- WRITING/SENTENCE SKILLS REVIEW GUIDE (PERT Writing)
- MATH REVIEW GUIDE (PERT Math)
- COLLEGE LEVEL MATH REVIEW (AAF)
Bookstore Prices: Reading $1.56, Writing $2.05, Math $4.00