Employee Development Funds and Valencia College Course Tuition
Fund your development
Valencia College is committed to creating an environment that encourages professional development and opportunities for academic, technical and life-long learning of its employees. Employee Development Funds (EDF) are used to improve employee performance through opportunities that enhance competencies specified for present or future positions.
Employee Development Funds
With supervisor approval, full-time employees who have been employed at the College in a full-time position for a minimum of six continuous months are eligible for:
Tuition up to 18 credit hours per fiscal year at Valencia, if degree seeking or seeking a technical certificate;
Up to $1,100 dollars per fiscal year for eligible professional development, such as conferences, workshops, seminars and webinars; tuition reimbursement from another United States regionally accredited higher education institution; or a combination of professional development and Valencia non-degree seeking courses. These funds do not roll over from year to year.
Please note that employees may take more than six credits per term after consultation and approval from their supervisor. There is no longer a limitation of six credits per term for employees.
Program Development Funds
Another type of funds, Program Development Funds are managed by senior leadership to support program initiation or innovation. Please refer to your senior leader for the distribution process in your division.
Employee Development Funds Frequently Asked Questions
How much do I get each year in Employee Development Funds?
$1,100 per fiscal year to be used for non-degree/non-certificate seeking courses at Valencia or another accredited institution and conferences or workshop registration. Employees taking degree-seeking or technical certificate-seeking courses at Valencia College are eligible for up to 18 credits per fiscal year. These funds do not roll over from year to year.
What can Employee Development Funds be used for?
Employee Development Funds can be used on conference registration or tuition reimbursement. Webinar, workshop and seminar registrations are also eligible.
Who must give approval to use Employee Development Funds?
Employees must get approval from their direct supervisor. Applications are submitted to the Organizational Development and Human Resources (ODHR) to confirm funds are available and that the employee is eligible. The ODHR will also confirm funds are being spent on an eligible development opportunity.
How do I submit a request for EDF funds?
Complete the Request for Employee Development Funds in its entirety. This includes receiving a statement of approval and signature from your supervisor.
Retrieve all supporting documents. This may include information such as travel authorization
forms, conference agendas. Send the EDF form (with supervisors approval) and all supporting
documents to email@example.com or the following mail-codes:
East, Winter Park and School of Public Safety send to
West and District Office send to
Osceola, Lake Nona, Advanced Manufacturing and Poinciana send to
Valencia College Course Tuition
Full-time employees who have been employed at the College in a full-time position for a minimum of six continuous months may have eligible dependents register for a maximum of six credit hours per term toward credit and non-credit courses at Valencia. An eligible dependent is a non-Valencia employee who is a spouse, domestic partner or child of a Valencia College employee. Please note: a child of two eligible Valencia College employees may take a maximum of 12 credit hours per term.
Valencia College Course Tuition Frequently Asked Questions
What is the definition of dependent as it applies to this policy?
- Dependent: A non-Valencia College employee who is a spouse, domestic partner or child of a Valencia College employee.
- Child: A dependent who is a natural child, legally adopted child, step-child or foster child of a Valencia College employee who has not attained age 24 prior by the beginning of the semester for which the funds are requested.
- Spouse: A dependent who is legally married to a Valencia College employee and resides in the same household.
- Domestic Partner: A dependent who is a partner of a Valencia College employee who has submitted a verified Affidavit of Domestic Partnership to Organizational Development and Human Resources.
What is the process for my dependent to take Valencia classes?
- The dependent student must follow the normal student registration procedures. The employee should complete the Request for Valencia College Course Tuition form and send the form to the ODHR Regional Solution Center at least five business days before the payment deadline.
Can my dependent take Continuing Education classes offered at Valencia College?
- Yes. Employees must complete the Request for Valencia College Course Tuition form. Send this form to your ODHR Regional Solution Center at least two business days before the payment deadline. For Continuing Education classes that span multiple terms, one tuition form may be turned in each term.