Exchange Visitor Program Purpose
Valencia College is an official Program Sponsor designated by the Department of State to administer J-1 visas to participate in the Exchange Visitor Program. This is an academic program designed to foster mutual educational and cultural exchanges of ideas between Americans and foreign nationals, stimulate international collaborative teaching and research efforts, promote mutual enrichment, and create linkages between research and educational institutions in the U.S. and those of other countries. Designations and program durations are as follows:
- Student (up to 2 years)
- Professor (3 weeks to 5 years)
- Short-Term Scholar (1 day to 6 months)
- Specialist (3 weeks to 1 year)
Applicants will qualify for the Exchange Visitor visa as long as they can demonstrate the following:
- They plan to remain in the U.S. for a temporary, specific, and limited period.
- They plan to carry out a specific activity, such as study or research.
- There is evidence of funds to cover expenses in the United States.
- They can show evidence of compelling social and economic ties abroad; and other binding ties which will ensure their return abroad at the end of the visit.