Driver's License & Social Security Card

Driver's License

You will need a Florida Driver’s License issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to drive a car. To obtain a license, you must pass a written test and a driving test. You will need the following in order to apply for a license: DS-2019, visa, passport, I-94 card, and Social Security number (if issued). Other services provided by the Department of Motor Vehicle (DMV) include: issuance of Florida ID card, license renewals, license plate renewals, getting a learner’s permit, and finding a Florida DMV-approved traffic school.

NOTE: Florida law defines a bicycle as a vehicle so bicyclists are subject to many of the same responsibilities as operators of motor vehicles and subject to the same citations and fines for violating traffic law. For more information, visit: Division of Motor Vehicles.

Valencia Parking Permit

If you will have a car, be sure to request a Valencia parking permit. You do this through your Atlas account. Click on Parking Permit Application and then Request a Permit. Follow the instructions on the page.

Social Security Card

Exchange Visitors who are receiving program sponsor funds, as indicated on the DS-2019, are eligible to apply for a Social Security card. You MUST wait at least ten days after entering the U.S. before visiting the local Social Security Administration (SSA) office or the Social Security card will be delayed. The SSA will not issue a social security number to an individual who will not reside in the U.S. at least 14 days beyond the date that the application for a Social Security number is submitted to the SSA office. You must apply in person at a local Social Security office and you will need to bring your passport, I-94 Card, and DS-2019. In order to start working, you must present your Social Security Card to your Responsible Officer and your employer. Typically, there is a two- to four-week wait for Social Security cards. For more information, visit the Social Security Administration.

Exception to above: Short-term scholars who will earn income from Valencia and will reside in the U.S. for at least 15 days but not more than 29 days should not wait 10 days. They must visit an SSA office immediately after arriving in the U.S. and following validation in SEVIS.