Program Purpose & Amendments
Valencia College is an official Program Sponsor designated by the Department of State to administer J-1 visas to participate in the Exchange Visitor Program. This is an academic program designed to foster mutual educational and cultural exchanges of ideas between Americans and foreign nationals, stimulate international collaborative teaching and research efforts, promote mutual enrichment, and create linkages between research and educational institutions in the U.S. and those of other countries. Designations and program durations are as follows: Student, Professor, Specialist, and Short-term Scholar.
- Changes to the J category are RARELY approved unless you can demonstrate the change
is a continuation of the original J program objective. Exchange Visitors CANNOT change
their program objective. Changes in program activities are permitted with prior RO/ARO
- Adding additional dependents does not require the signature of a department administrator.
Your RO/ARO will request the family member information and appropriate funding verification.
- The Exchange Visitor must inform their RO/ARO for any of the following:
- change of address
- funding issues
- worksite location change
- supervisor’s name or department changes
- not enrolling in a full course of study
- serious medical situation
- leaving the country