The League Excellence Awards
The League Excellence Awards (formerly the John & Suanne Roueche Excellence Awards), created by the League for Innovations, is open to League Alliance member institutions to celebrate outstanding contributions and leadership by community college faculty and staff. Valencia is proud to be able to participate in this recognition program. This is a campus-based nomination and selection.
Who can be nominated?
All full-time employees of the College, including faculty (annually appointed faculty, tenure-earning, and tenured) and staff, are eligible to be nominated for this honor - provided they have not received the award in the last five years.
Each campus president has established criteria for nominations on their campus as follows:
East/Winter Park Campuses are seeking nominations for exceptional employees who:
- Contribute to the advancement of innovation and creativity on East and Winter Park Campuses.
- Provide leadership through participation in divisional, campus and collegewide initiatives.
- Exhibit expertise/scholarship in his/her specific field/discipline and work.
- Demonstrate outstanding contributions to campus and college learning communities.
Osceola/Lake Nona/Poinciana Campuses are seeking nominations for exceptional employees who:
- Exhibit a spirit of innovation that goes “above and beyond” what’s expected.
- Recognize that our students are amazing and demonstrate a commitment to helping them reach their full potential.
- Make a significant contribution to creating the right conditions to support learning on campus.
West/Downtown Campuses are seeking nominations for exceptional employees who:
- Demonstrate innovation and creativity for improving learning at the West Campus.
- Advance expertise or the scholarship of teaching and learning in their field/discipline or area of work.
- Contribute significantly to achieving remarkable outcomes for a division, campus, or college-wide initiative.
- Strengthen partnerships with external organizations and agencies to improve student access, retention, and completion.
Nomination and Selection Process
- Nomination forms must be individualized for each nominee—identical applications for multiple nominees are not allowed. Any full-time employee may nominate up to (and no more than) two colleagues for an award.
- All candidates are evaluated on contributions made while employed at Valencia
- Awards will be presented to those nominees who, in the estimation of the selection committee (subject to approval by the Campus President), have demonstrated an extraordinary commitment to implementing Valencia’s Strategic Learning Plan or Campus Plan through outstanding learning leadership.
- The selection committee’s evaluation is based solely on the information provided in the nomination form. Nominators should provide specific examples of accomplishment, based on the above criteria.
- The selection committee for each campus will review the materials and submit their recommendations to the Employee Development Team. Those recommendations will be forwarded to the Campus President for approval.
- If a member of the selection committee should be nominated or wish to make a nomination, her/his representation will be replaced on the committee during the award review process.
Each campus forms their own committee, coordinated by the Campus President office.
Recipients are recognized in the following manner:
- Recipients are eligible for college-sponsored travel to the annual Innovations Conference, subject to available funds and departmental approval. Conference attendance is not required but is encouraged for recipients who would benefit professionally from the workshops offered, which focus on teaching/learning and leadership tracks.
- Each Excellence Awards recipient will receive an honorary certificate that will include their name and award year. Certificates will be mailed to recipients prior to the Innovations conference.
- Specialty cast, pewter medallions will be given to each League Excellence Awards recipient upon check-in at Innovations conference registration.
2019 Roueche Excellence Award Winners
East/Winter Park Campuses
- Vasudha Sharma, professor, chemistry
- Jocelyn Morales, counselor
- Wendy Givoglu, dean, School of Arts and Entertainment
- Andy Ray, professor, building construction technology
- Marsha Butler, faculty, New Student Experience
Osceola/Lake Nona/Poinciana Campuses
- Natali Shulterbrondt, counselor
- Magdala Emmanuel, professor, mathematics
- Joshua Austin, manager, learning support services